The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Ironworkers Local Union No. 6 will conduct a recruitment through Aug. 6 for five ironworker outside apprentices, according to the state Department of Labor.
The five openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for the Finger Lakes, Southern Tier and Western regions.
Applications must be completed in person from 8:30 a.m. to noon at Local Union No. 6, 196 Orchard Park Road in West Seneca, on the first Monday of each month, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
The committee requires that applicants:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma such as TASC or GED.
- Pass a drug and alcohol screening, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Live within the jurisdiction of Local Union No. 6, which includes all of Erie County except the northern half of Grand Island. The boundary line is Whitehaven Road from East River to West River.
- Possess a valid New York State driver’s license in order to drive company vehicles.
- Have reliable transportation to and from various job sites and related instruction classes.
- Appear for an interview when scheduled.
- Provide DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest state Department of Labor office or Local Union No. 6 at 875-4744.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the commissioner.
Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability or marital status.
Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs.
Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.
See original posting on orchardparkbee.com